1 CBS News - Ultimate News Feed Detail Page - Nap-Sack Nap-Sack The Social Website with a Purpose

CBS News »

  • "SNL" takes aim at Harvey Weinstein amid sexual assault accusations

    Posted 2017-10-15 14:38:35 by: Nap-Sack ....

    NEW YORK - NBC's "Saturday Night Live" gave a pass last week. The disgraced movie mogul wasn't quite so lucky this week. "Weekend Update" tossed off a few barbs targeting Weinstein and of sexual assault. Colin Jost proposed that rather than the rehab Weinstein has pledged to undergo, jail would be more fitting. Michael Che suggested that Weinstein's face resembles "chewed bubblegum rolled in cat hair." Earlier, a sketch depicted actresses discussing sexual harassment. Kate McKinnon as a dotty Hollywood veteran recalled being invited to Weinstein's hotel room where he was naked and hanging upside down, trying to trick her into thinking his genitals were actually his face. But thanks to Alex Baldwin and fellow players, the night's preferred target was, as usual, President Donald Trump.Dozens of women, including actresses Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow, have gone public with accusations against Harvey following recent reports by The New York Times and The New Yorker detailing misconduct claims by others.   British police are now investigating three new allegations of sexual assault against film producer Harvey Weinstein. London's Metropolitan Police force said the same woman was the victim of the assaults that allegedly took place in 2010, 2011 and 2015. It said Sunday that officers from the Child Abuse and Sexual Offenses Command are investigating. The force did not name Weinstein, in keeping with its policy of not identifying suspects who have not been charged. But it said the allegations involve a man against whom another was made on Wednesday. That case also is being investigated. Actress Lysette Anthony says she reported to police Wednesday that Weinstein raped her in London in the late 1980s. Anthony told the Sunday Times newspaper she was left feeling "disgusted and embarrassed" after the attack. has been expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the academy's board of governors said in a statement ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Death toll from powerful blast in Somalia's capital rises to 231

    Posted 2017-10-15 13:33:58 by: Nap-Sack ....

    MOGADISHU, Somalia - The death toll from the witnessed in Somalia's capital rose to 231 with more than 275 injured, making it the deadliest single attack ever in this Horn of Africa nation, said a senator. Abshir Abdi Ahmed said the toll comes from doctors at hospitals he has visited in Mogadishu. Many of the bodies in hospital mortuaries have not yet been identified, he said. Saturday's blast is the single deadliest attack ever in this Horn of Africa nation. Doctors struggled to assist horrifically wounded victims, many burned beyond recognition. Officials feared the toll would continue to climb from Saturday's truck bomb that targeted a busy street near key ministries. Ambulance sirens still echoed across the city throughout Sunday as bewildered families wandered in the rubble of buildings, looking for missing relatives. "In our 10 year experience as the first responder in #Mogadishu, we haven't seen anything like this," the Aamin Ambulance service tweeted. Grief overwhelmed many. "There's nothing I can say. We have lost everything," wept Zainab Sharif, a mother of four who lost her husband. She sat outside a hospital where he was pronounced dead after hours of efforts by doctors to save him from an arterial injury. Local journalists say one freelance journalist was killed in Saturday's massive bombing in Somalia's capital and several were injured. Voice of America says one of its reporters, Abdulkaidr Mohamed Abdulle, is among the injured. President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed declared three days of mourning and joined thousands of people who responded to a desperate plea by hospitals to donate blood for the wounded victims. "I am appealing all Somali people to come forward and donate," he said. "The hospital is overwhelmed by both dead and wounded. We also received people whose limbs were cut away by the bomb. This is really horrendous, unlike any other time in the past," said Dr. Mohamed Yusuf, the director of ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Wildfires up to 100 miles wide as death toll climbs

    Posted 2017-10-15 11:35:37 by: Nap-Sack ....

    SONOMA, Calif. - While in parts of Northern California, some of the tens of thousands of evacuees are getting antsy to return to homes that aren't under immediate threat. Others want to see if they still have homes to return to. Authorities, however, are staying cautious in the face of blazes that have now killed at least 40 people and destroyed at least 5,700 homes. "We're on pins and needles," Travis Oglesby, who evacuated from his home in Santa Rosa, said to Sonoma County Sheriff Robert Giordano on Saturday. "We're hearing about looting." Although some evacuees were returning home in Mendocino County, the latest estimates were that about 100,000 people were under evacuation orders as the fires burned for a sixth day. Plans were in the works to reopen communities, but they were not ready to be put into effect, said Dave Teter, a deputy director with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. Douglas and Marian Taylor stood outside their apartment complex Saturday in Santa Rosa with their two dogs and a sign that said "End evacuation now." Their building was unharmed at the edge of the evacuation zone with a police barricade set up across the street. The couple said they are spending about $300 per day to rent a motel and eat out, and they want to return home because the fire does not appear to threaten their home. At an evacuation center at the fairgrounds in the Sonoma County city of Petaluma, volunteers sorted through mounds of donated baby wipes, diapers, pillows, shoes and clothing. Randy Chiado and his wife, Barbara, evacuated Monday from the Oakmont section of Santa Rosa. They stayed for several days with a friend in Santa Rosa but left Saturday when flames approached again and sought refuge at the fairgrounds. "After so many times of 'It's coming, get ready. It's coming, get ready,' it just gets nerve-wracking," Barbara Chiado said. Life away from home has been difficult and dangerous. Randy Chiado said a man who may have suspected ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Atlas 5 rocket carrying spy satellite takes off

    Posted 2017-10-15 07:57:15 by: Nap-Sack ....

    Running 10 days late after four frustrating delays, a United Launch Alliance carrying a classified National Reconnaissance Office spy satellite finally blasted off from Florida early Sunday, lighting up the pre-dawn sky with a brilliant streak of fire as it thundered through a partly cloudy sky.Because the NROL-52 payload was classified, no details were released, and ended video and commentary five minutes after liftoff - well before the rocket finished climbing out of the atmosphere - "at the request of our customer."The launch was dazzling nonetheless, beginning with start-up of the rocket's Russian-built RD-180 first-stage engine at 3:28 a.m. ET, followed an instant later by ignition of two solid-fuel strap-on boosters. It was ULA's seventh flight this year and its third for the secretive National Reconnaissance Office.Launch originally was planned for Oct. 5, but stormy weather blocked two attempts in a row, and then trouble with a telemetry transmitter in the booster forced a third delay to Saturday. High winds then forced a fourth delay to Sunday.But this time around, the countdown ticked smoothly to zero and the 197-foot-tall rocket quickly climbed away from pad 41 at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, putting on a spectacular show thanks to the fiery plume spewing from the twin strap-on rockets and the RD-180.The early stages of the flight proceeded normally as the Atlas 5 knifed through the thick lower atmosphere and accelerated toward space. ULA's mission commentary ended just after second stage engine ignition, but all appeared to be going smoothly at that point.While the identity of the NROL-52 satellite was classified, a leading independent analyst said the spacecraft likely is the latest in a series of Space Data System - SDS - spacecraft designed to relay imagery from current and future high-resolution optical spy satellites.Amateur satellite trackers believe another SDS satellite was launched by a virtually identical Atlas ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Death toll mounts after devastating floods, landslides in Vietnam

    Posted 2017-10-15 04:10:47 by: Nap-Sack ....

    HANOI, Vietnam - The death toll from landslides and heavy rain triggered by a tropical depression in Vietnam has climbed to 68, with another 34 people missing, officials said Sunday. The Vietnam Disaster Management Authority said in a statement that the disasters have also injured 32 people, damaged infrastructure and killed more than 230,000 livestock in central and northern regions. The storm hit Vietnam on Tuesday and authorities have been dealing with the fallout since. Disaster officials in the hardest-hit province of Hoa Binh in the north, where 20 people have died, said some 300 soldiers, police and militia were still searching for eight people missing from a landslide. Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Khanun is weakening as it moves toward the Tonkin Gulf and is expected to bring rains to northern and central Vietnam. A submerged temple is seen in a flooded village after a tropical depression in Hanoi, Vietnam, on Oct. 13, 2017. Reuters © 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Review: Kate Winslet glows in Woody Allen's "Wonder Wheel"

    Posted 2017-10-15 04:03:03 by: Nap-Sack ....

    Woody Allen's "Wonder Wheel," a romantic comedy-drama starring Kate Winslet as an adulterous woman in 1950s Coney Island, is the director's best film in years.The movie, which had its world premiere Saturday at the New York Film Festival, has many of the familiar nostalgic trappings of a period Allen film, including starry-eyed characters with artistic aspirations who become embroiled with romantic misunderstandings.But what the story hinges on is a moral dilemma that arises for Ginny (Winslet), a waitress, that fits squarely inside the emotional diorama that she has arranged for herself in the manner of Blanche DuBois - a nexus of ambition, regret, infidelity, jealousy and fear.Winslet's performance is a remarkably rounded depiction of a woman tortured by a cruel mistake in her past, for which she has only temporarily obtained rescue and redemption through cohabitation with her second husband, Humpty (Jim Belushi), a fellow recovering alcoholic who, like her, works on the boardwalk. Ginny is preoccupied by her son, a budding arsonist, and by her affair with a lifeguard and aspiring playwright, Mickey (Justin Timberlake). But it's the arrival of Carolina (June Temple), Humpty's estranged daughter from his first marriage, which truly turns the household upside-down. After marrying a gangster several years earlier, causing a rift with her father, Carolina has since seen the error of her ways. But having sung to the FBI, this little canary is now a woman targeted by the mob, putting everyone in her family in jeopardy. Compared to other recent Allen films - "Cafe Society," "Irrational Man," "Magic in the Moonlight," "Blue Jasmine" and "To Rome With Love" - "Wonder Wheel" shows a higher degree of diligence in his screenplay - its dialogue and plot are less writerly and mannered. And for a story that is remarkably stagebound (this could easily be produced as a theatrical play, as hardly any scenes take place near surf), the look of the film is ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Weinstein's brother "mortified" and in "waking nightmare," report says

    Posted 2017-10-15 03:12:01 by: Nap-Sack ....

    LOS ANGELES - The brother of disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein and co-founder of the company that now finds itself in crisis says he's in "a waking nightmare" and had no idea "the type of predator" his brother is accused of being."I want him to get the justice he deserves," Bob Weinstein said.Bob, 62, operated in the shadow of his much more public and flamboyant older brother for more than 30 years as they partnered in Miramax and, more recently, The Weinstein Co. But in an interview , he said that he and Harvey, 65, have barely spoken in five years. The brothers ran separate divisions of their company, from opposite coasts - Bob in Los Angeles, Harvey in New York."The members of the board, including myself, did not know the extent of my brother's actions," Weinstein said in the interview. He said he knew his brother was unfaithful to wife Georgina Chapman, "philandering with every woman he could meet." But he insisted he had no idea his brother was allegedly committing acts of sexual harassment and assault."I'll tell you what I did know: Harvey was a bully, Harvey was arrogant, he treated people like (crap) all the time," Bob said."I'm mortified and disgusted by my brother's actions. And I am sick for the victims. And I feel for them."A look at the women accusing Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment or assault. CBS News Dozens of women, including actresses Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow, have gone public with accusations against Harvey following recent reports by The New York Times and The New Yorker detailing misconduct claims by others.In the latest development, British actress Lysette Anthony said she's told police that Harvey raped her in the 1980s.Anthony, who currently appears in the British soap opera "Hollyoaks," told the Sunday Times newspaper that Weinstein attacked her after showing up at her London home. She said she ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • New piece of evidence could help find missing North Texas newlyweds

    Posted 2017-10-15 01:56:33 by: Nap-Sack ....

    TEXAS - Missing for more than two weeks after flying their plane to the Bahamas, new possible evidence could help lead investigators to the whereabouts of a missing North Texas couple, .Donna Grant and Forrest Sanco recently married and were on a honeymoon trip that took them from the United States to the Bahamas. The newlyweds were using a single-engine Cessna to travel. The last anyone heard from the couple was on September 26. "We're struggling. I mean it's been terrible," said Erin Simmons. Simmons is Donna Grant's daughter-in-law. She and her husband flew to the Bahamas as they tried to put pressure on the U.S. Coast Guard and the Royal Bahamian Defense Force. "It's the not knowing that's so taxing, that's straining," said Simmons. Forrest Sanco and Donna Grant  CBS Dallas / Fort Worth Forrest posted a picture on Instagram from the Bahamas on September 26. Later that same day, a flight plan shows they took off from North Eleuthera with the plans to head 120 miles to Rum Cay, but never made it to the location. "Forrest is an engineer, Donna is a nurse. They had food and water on the plane as far as we know. They had floatation devices. That's given us hope that they're out there," said Simmons. One sign the couple could be close is from a wheel that was found by some fishermen this week. Investigators said it matches what Forrest and Donna would have used, but they have not confirmed if it is from their plane. "I think it's a good thing because it gives them an area to start," said Sue McDaniel. Forrest is Sue McDaniel's younger brother. She and her husband Brad are frustrated with the late start by search crews due to reporting miscommunication with the authorities on the island. They are trying to stay positive. "I mean miracles have happened. People have survived longer. So we're not going to say it's over until somebody tells us it's over. We're not ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Charlottesville officials launch lawsuit to prevent hateful demonstrations

    Posted 2017-10-14 23:17:11 by: Nap-Sack ....

    CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The city of Charlottesville, Virginia, launched a lawsuit this week aimed at preventing the that resulted in this summer.They marched in formation down the streets of Charlottesville . Many openly displayed weapons, Virginia is an open-carry state.On Thursday, city officials voted to file a lawsuit alleging the who descended on the city in August were acting as an illegal militia.Virginia law prohibits militias or private military organizations from operating without government supervision.If the city wins, it would be able to block or strictly limit similar demonstrations.Mary McCord is the former head of the Justice Department's National Security Division and now works at Georgetown Law School. She filed the lawsuit on behalf of the city. She spoke with CBS News about Charlottesville."It was not a normal protest, what we saw was really militaries invading Charlottesville," she said. "The right to peacefully assemble and express views is protected by the First Amendment. The right to assemble as a military organization, engage in paramilitary behavior, is not protected freedom of expression and it's really as simple as that." CBS News There are 22 defendants named in the lawsuit. Jason Kessler is named in the lawsuit for his role in coordinating the August protest. with this message: "Almost none of the claims about me are correct. What an embarrassment for these high profile attorneys to attach their names to this garbage."At least 40 other states have laws that could be used to block similar protests from groups across the ideological spectrum."A group that comes organized as a military unit - whether on the left ... the right or have no ideology at all - we think would violate these anti-paramilitary activity statutes," McCord said.At the site of those violent clashes in August, the statue of , while a judge decides whether it can ...

    Comments: 0   View more...

  • Hit song about suicide prevention resonates with millions of listeners

    Posted 2017-10-14 23:16:39 by: Nap-Sack ....

    October 14, 2017, 6:56 PM| A song by the rapper Logic is saving lives and resonating with millions of listeners. The song's title, "1-800-273-8255," is also the phone number of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Michelle Miller has more. ...

    Comments: 0   View more...